Qualifications: BA, BCom, BProc (University of Cape Town, South Africa)
Admissions: Supreme Court NSW, High Court of Australia
Previous Admissions: Supreme Court of South Africa (Cape of Good Hope Provincial Division) Supreme Court of England and Wales
Areas of Practice: Property Law, Commercial Litigation, Commercial Law, Intellectual Property Law, Insolvency Law and Employment Law
Derrick Zabow is an experienced solicitor having practiced in Sydney in partnership and on his own account for 30 years. Derrick has successfully completed complex commercial transactions, commercial property dealings, commercial and general litigation and advised on employment law, as well as trans-national matters where Derrick’s international experience has resulted in successful outcomes for clients.
Derrick has been involved in the following notable matters:
- In a vicarious liability matter where Derrick successfully obtained judgment in both the Appeal Court and High Court where leave to Appeal was denied;
- International trade practices matters in Federal Courts in Sydney, Melbourne and in New Zealand where Derrick negotiated favourable settlements for clients;
- Property law matters for Aboriginal Land Councils in which successful outcomes resulted;
- Taking a lead role in liaising with key Australian and international figures to resolve claims resulting from the Maccabiah Bridge Disaster in Israel;
- Acting on residential and commercial property development purchases, sales and leases, as well as advising on disputes arising from those transactions;
- Successfully representing claimants in unfair dismissal cases and defended claims against applicants in the Industrial Court of New South Wales and then in the Industrial Registry.
- Law Society of New South Wales
- Sydney Alliance