Qualifications: B Ec (Sydney) and LLB (Sydney)
Areas of Practice: Business Law, Intellectual Property, Property and Construction, Sports & Entertainment, Commercial Litigation
Peter was admitted as a lawyer in 1983, started P J English & Associates in Surry Hills in 1986 and entered into partnership with Tony Brooks to establish Surry Partners Lawyers in 1998.
Peter has a busy commercial practice and leads Surry Partners litigation and dispute resolution practice.
In recent matters Peter has:
- Acted on the multi-million dollar sale of a national digital media business incorporating structured earn out provisions for the owners
- Completed a complex multi-party share sale and asset sale agreement to a public company, with complex put and call options agreements over remaining shares, with overlapping obligations in a Shareholder Agreement and Executive Service Agreement for the founder and CEO
- Negotiated and drafted the Heads of Agreement for the purchase of a range of pharmaceutical products between a foreign listed pharma company and a local vendor, including a key role in relevant contract due diligence
- Represented a UK client in a major trade mark infringement dispute concerning use of trade marks on the internet heard in the Federal Court, including the preparation of an Appeal which was settled the day before the hearing.
- Negotiated the settlement of a dispute between a commercial lender and its former solicitor (represented by Law Cover) arising from the alleged failure of the solicitor to properly document the loan arrangements between the parties, including priority agreements with other secured lenders
- Advised on a licensing agreement with a UK publisher in relation to a global licence for the commercial use of a number of copyright images on greeting cards and wrapping paper
- Advised on and settled a dispute between a copyright owner and a website proprietor for copyright infringement resulting in removal of the images from the site and the provision of enforceable undertakings.
- Advised a client in financial difficulty operating in a complex business structure comprising multi corporate partnerships and trusts on the restructure of the business, the sale of assets into a new structure and taking steps for the protection of family assets.
Peter has worked closely with a number of clients in start up technology businesses and has assisted with development strategy, drafting and editing business plans, undertaking due diligence on financial projections and assisting with capital raisings. He works with clients on strategy for business development and advises on due diligence processes for business sales and purchases, including related banking and finance issues.
Peter has presented papers at Sports Law conferences, the Registered Clubs Association, continuing professional education seminars to other practitioners, and has lectured and mentored design practitioners on commercialising IP as part of a program called Springboard via funding secured through the Australia Council. He is a Registered Trade Mark Attorney.
- Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Communications and Media Law Association
- Commercial Lawyers Association
- Law Council of Australia
- Law Society of New South Wales
- Contemporary Collection Benefactors – Art Gallery of NSW
- Northbridge Tennis Club
- Northbridge Amateur Swimming Club
- Palm Beach Longboarders Inc.