Hospitality and Liquor Licensing
Surry Partners Lawyers represents Registered Clubs, hotels, restaurants and the various service providers that supply them, including food and liquor wholesalers, caterers, chefs and key managers. Surry Partners hospitality practice generates a substantial amount of liquor licensing work. We act for liquor store proprietors, winemakers and distributors.
We provide services in connection with:
- Liquor license applications, variations and transfers
- Gaming Machines authorisations
- Licensing Court and Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing appearances
- Land & Environment Court proceedings
- Compliance advice
- Advice on Liquor Act breaches
- Sales and purchases of licensed premises
- Executive Service Contracts
- Catering Contracts
- Sponsorship and Special Events
Surry Partners has represented clients in Land and Environment court proceedings against local councils or resident groups when their actions have the effect of attempting to restrict or limit the operations of our clients. We also work frequently with many specialist hospitality consultants (planning and social impact consultants) to assist in delivering results for our clients.
- Acting for the owners and operators of hospitality businesses providing business advice, advocacy in commercial and licensing litigation
- Structuring and documenting a providore’s market in an existing commercial premises that provided for licensed occupation, shared services, infrastructure and marketing
- Preparing an application to increase the outside seating capacity of a tourist precinct restaurant
- Acting on the sale and transfer of Poker Machine entitlements
- Acting for a registered club on the preparation of a tender and sale documents for a licensed hotel, including advice to the Board of the club on relevant governance issues
- Acting on conveyances of licenses, property and businesses (freehold and leasehold) and in all aspects of planning approvals and licensing approvals
- Advising licensed premises regarding alleged breaches of conditions of development consent, noise complaints and the like, making representations to, and negotiating with, councils in relation to those matters and appearing in the Licensing Court to defend proceedings and negotiate acceptable licence conditions to settle proceedings
- Preparing and successfully prosecuting a primary service application for an established restaurant in a busy residential/tourist area in Sydney
- Successfully opposed licence conditions attempted to be imposed on a restaurant client in connection with noise complaints from adjoining residents
- Acting for the owners of businesses operating in major CBD properties and other commercial/retail premises, in relation to leasing, fit out agreements, commercial transactions and disputes, Licensing Court and Land & Environment Court litigation.
- Advising the Boards of various registered clubs on commercial matters and corporate governance issues
- Presenting to licensed club managers on third party catering contracts and topics related to relevant aspects of liquor licensing and food regulations to those food operations.