Qualifications: LLB (UWS) Dip Law
Acc. Specialist Property Law
Areas of Practice: Property, Development, Banking & Finance, Commercial/ Retail Leasing, Business Acquisitions and Sales, Complex wills and Probate Administrations.
Maged joined Surry Partners in November 2002 after completing a Bachelor of Law Degree and Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice and was made a Director in 2008.
In 2011 Maged obtained Specialist Accreditation in the area of Property Law. Of the approximately 23,000 practicing lawyers in NSW, there are currently approximately 150 Accredited Specialists in Property Law.
In 2012 Maged was appointed to serve as a member of the Property Law Committee of the Law Society of New South Wales. Maged continues to serve on the Property Law Committee.
Maged is an editor of the Australian Property Law Bulletin for New South Wales, which is a national publication servicing legal practitioners. Maged provides regular article contributions to the Bulletin.
Maged is a registered tutor for the Jumbunna, Indigenous Tutorial Assistance Scheme (ITAS) at the University of Technology Sydney (UTS). ITAS assists Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander university students to participate equitably in their chosen field of study and aims to accelerate and improve their educational outcomes. Maged provides tuition to participating ITAS law students at UTS.
Maged manages Surry Partners’ property practice and continues to work on property development projects and commercial transactions involving residential and commercial property, off-the-plan purchases & sales, option agreements, industrial property and contamination issues, commercial and retail leasing, license agreements, mortgage and finance advice, easements, covenants and other title dealings, advisory work on strata and community title issues, company title schemes, stamp duties, land tax and other commercial transaction tax considerations.
Maged’s practice area also includes complex probate and estate administration, business sales and acquisitions.
Maged has more recently been involved in:
- complex business acquisitions in hotel industry and retail industry involving the transfer of gaming and hotel licence interests, assignment of various operating agreements, leasing arrangements and employee considerations;
- the acquisition of a coastal retail shopping arcade involving several retail and commercial leases, building compliance checks, the discovery encroaching structures over council property and building compliance issues;
- acting for the landowner in the compulsory acquisition of a portion of their industrial property by the RTA, including negotiations on price and documentation to give effect to changed access arrangements;
- drafting a call option agreement for the granting of a long term lease to an industrial site including site access, contamination and remediation site testing considerations;
- complex probate application involving seeking the court’s leave for the correction of clauses prepared by a deceased in the form of a take home Will to reflect the deceased’s true intentions;
- application for a grant of reseal in NSW with respect to an original probate granted in New Zealand;
- acting for a land owner with regard to preparing a deed poll and possessory title application for the purposes of the correction of title with the department of lands involving an original crown grant for a small parcel of land located within a large site never formally transferred to the land owner;
- advising a retail tenant regarding the safeguard provisions contained in the Retail Leases Act applying to their lease for the purposes of renewing the lease, market rent review and the entitlement to the appointment of an independent specialist retail valuer and assisting the tenant to require the landlord to adopt the procedure set out in the legislation to protect their interests;
- advising a Landlord regarding the application of market review provisions and ratchet clauses contain in their commercial lease to ensure their achieve the best result on rent review.
Law Society of New South Wales
Property Law Committee – Law Society of NSW
Australian Arab Business Network
Law Council of Australia